I am on vacation. I am on vacation and back downtown looking after the dog while TB is away for work. Because I don’t have my usual well stocked kitchen/pantry at my finger tips, I have been trying to make due with simple meals. Besides, cooking for one is not as much fun as cooking for at least someone else, or a few someone’s…regardless one must eat!
So after a beautifully sunny Vancouver day and a long walk around the sea wall in the late afternoon with the dog, I was hungry. In the fridge I had some peperoni and cheese, some pizza dough from the local bakery and the pièce de résistance: a cold bottle of white wine. A while ago Annie from one the most tried and true blogs that I read almost daily had posted the idea of pizza bites. Now it wasn’t rocket science. And truthfully, it probably would have been a little less work making a simple pizza either on the pizza stone or on the BBQ, but regardless I made these. And they were fabulous. Imagine the sun setting, sitting on the patio with a plate full of these little nuggets, a big glass of wine and of course a good book. What a fantastically relaxing way to end a fabulous day.
The picture leaves something to be desired… not enough light, sorry! These would be great as an appy or if you are like me, a dinner. Tasty tasty, as always, thanks Annie.
3/4 lb of pizza dough
24 slices pepperoni
24 small cubes cheese (I used Havarti because it was what I had on hand (yum!))
2 Tbsp cornmeal
extra virgin olive oil
grated parmesan cheese
Montreal Steak Seasoning (random I know!)
pizza sauce, or simple marinara for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Spray a pie plate with pam, then sprinkle the corn meal
- Divide dough into 24 equal parts
- Flatten into dough discs, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter
- Place a cube of cheese and slice of pepperoni onto the disc, wrap dough around and pinch close. Repeat with all dough pieces.
- Place dough balls in the pie plate, brush with olive oil.
- Grate parm on top for some crunchy goodness and sprinkle with Montreal steak seasoning, or if you have it Italian seasoning and garlic salt or powder.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with marinara/pizza sauce.
- Crack open some wine and enjoy.