This past weekend I was in the lovely Comox Valley on Vancouver Island. A good friend is back from literally a trip around the world: 14 months in Nepal and then they traveled to Maui, the Philippines, Iceland, France, Germany, Amsterdam etc…so off we went for a visit with her at her parents. They live on an very tranquil piece of property just outside of Courtney, BC.
Good times, wine, food and friends makes for a wonderful weekend. After a morning at the spa: walking a hydro path, a fantastic lunch at Atlas and a snooze on the lawn in the afternoon sun, we decided to round out the weekend with a chilled west coast tradition. So, Sunday evening just us ladies packed a picnic for the beach, made a campfire in the wind, ate some good food, chatted and drank Babyduck. One of the goodies in the cooler that we packed was a delicious curried quinoa salad.
This salad is packed full of protein. And gets better as the flavours meld in the fridge, so a great meal to make and have in the fridge for lunches or a light summer dinner. I love the savoury coupled with the sweet, the crunchy and the chewy. Mmmm.
3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 pkg extra firm tofu cut into 1 inch cups
1 cup quinoa
2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup shredded carrots
3 green onions sliced
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
3/4 cup dried apricots sliced
1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
1 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp curry powder
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup canola oil
- Squeeze juice from lime into a medium bowl. Stir in soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger. Add tofu and marinate for 30-40 minutes.
- Place quinoa in a sieve and rinse thoroughly. Drain and place in a medium sauce pan along with the broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with fork, set aside.
- While quinoa is simmering, preheat oven to 350F. Place walnut pieces on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown and fragrant, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, green onion, parsley, cilantro, apricots, toasted walnut pieces, cranberries (if using) and cooked quinoa.
- For dressing mix curry powder, lime juice, honey, and canola oil in a seal-able container, shake well to mix and pour over quinoa mixture and mix.
- Refrigerate salad for at least one hour. Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium heat: remove tofu from marinade and cook for 2 or 3 minutes per side until browned. Add cooked tofu to quinoa salad mixture, mix and serve.
Glow, May 2010 pg. 92