We hadn’t used the whole loaf, had thrown it into the freezer and thus a scrumptious breakfast in no time flat. Not to knock maple syrup, because don’t get me wrong, I love the o0ey gooey sweetness of real maple syrup, but I think the flavoured butter that you see melting down the French Toast is what made it! The best thing is that the butter was actually icing left over from the wedding cake the same weekend…double use, one recipe!
4 slices Raisin Swirl Bread
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup milk
1 oz Fireball whisky – don’t know why I threw this in, maybe the cinnamony taste, but soooo good!
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter – room temp
2 Tbsp sifted icing sugar
juice from half a lemon
zest from lemon
- Prepare flavoured butter: in a bowl whisk together all ingredients, the more you whisk, the lighter it gets.
- A low, large bowl whisk together: eggs, milk, fireball(!), cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar.
- Melt butter in a skillet, on med/med-high heat.
- Dredge bread in egg mixture. Because the bread is quite dense, let it sit a little and absorb the mix.
- Once butter is fully melted in the pan, add the bread (2 at a time). Flip when golden crispy on the bottom.
- Top with lemon butter – serve with a fruit salad.