These prawns are tasty, and so simple. With sticky rice or stir fried veggies, or a big green salad with sesame soy dressing – any way you serve it, they taste great! A nice, relatively healthy dinner for a night in.
1 lb shelled and de-veined prawns
3 tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1 tsp kosher sea salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 tbsp canola oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Serrano or jalapeno pepper
2 large green onions, chopped
- Pat prawns dry, lay out on a layer of paper towels and place two other paper towels on top to continue to absorb moisture.
- In a shallow bowl combine, cornstarch, pepper, salt and five spice.
- Mix prawns with the cornstarch until all are fully coated.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Place prawns in skillet, single layered.
- Allow to cook for about 2 minutes, until golden brown and spotted on underside.
- Flip and cook second side for another 1 minute.
- Remove prawns from pan.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp of oil in pan, add garlic, green onions and pepper. Allow to cook for about 1 minute until fragrant, just before garlic browns.
- Add prawns back to garlic mixture and cook through one more minute.
- Remove from heat and serve.