I’ve made stuffed ravioli before…but only using wonton wrappers. I swore up an down I would never do that again. I found the papers got too gooey, it was a colossal disaster. Add to that it made copious amounts and I hate wasting food, so I ate every last on of them.
With the new pasta maker, there is a special attachment to make ravioli. Since the fettuccine was such a hit, I thought it was worth another shot. Again, since so many of our favourite foods at home are re-creations of restaurant dishes, when TB heard I was going to make ravioli, he suggested a version of Tortellini al Funghi from our favourite Italian bistro, Cafe Luxy, meat tortellini with wild creamy mushroom sauce.
So the first step was to make the pasta, filling and then raviolis. Next will come the sauce….
Ingredients for Meat Filling
1/4 kg lean veal
1/4 kg lean turkey
1/3 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely diced
5 mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp beef bovril concentrate.
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup thawed frozen spinach, drained
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
2 Tbsp bread crumbs
- Prepare a quadruple recipe of pasta dough. (This time I added 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley). Allow to rest for at least one hour. In the mean time make the filling.
- Brown meat in a fry pan over med-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Allow to cook until onions are translucent.
- Add parsley, chili powder, Italian seasoning beef bovril and then season with salt and pepper.
- Cook out all the juices from the pan. If there is a lot of liquid, drain off.
- Remove from heat. Bring to room temp.
- In a food processor puree the meat mixture, spinach and cheeses.
- Taste mixture, add another seasoning you feel is needed…and then add eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Fill according to your pasta machine directions, or these directions for making it by hand.