‘Tis the season for lighter eating…I love the time of year when having a big salad is satisfying and refreshing. For the longest time my favourite salad was a Taco Salad, then it was Thai Beef Salads…this may be a new favourite. It is ridiculously fast to make and seemed to be enjoyed by many at a dinner party I brought it to. The picture does not do the salad justice… but alas sometimes you just have to put something up!
Salad to Serve Two (as a meal)
4 cups mixed greens and spinach
1 cup sliced strawberries
¼ thinly sliced red onion
½ log crumbled goat cheese
1 cup nuts (I mixed varieties, sometimes even Almonds)
1 Tablespoon butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
Maple Poppyseed Dressing:
½ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
Pinch of salt
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup poppy seeds
Salad: combine ingredients – easy!
- Toast in a hot frying pan about 2-3 minutes
- Add butter, brown sugar and Cajun seasoning (I know random – but the salt and heat is masked, but still adds something)
- Allow everything to melt and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Before mixture begins to burn poor nuts out onto a silpad to cool, separate with the spoon as much as possible to avoid clumps
- Put everything except for the EVOO in a food processor/blender and blend – slowly adding ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mix until emulsified; add 1/3 cup poppy seeds – blend again.
Combine salad, nuts and dressing, top with grilled chicken if you like meat and enjoy!