It has been 207 days since I last blogged. It’s hard to explain really. I can’t really blame it on the fact that TB and I broke up, or that I didn’t have enough space in the kitchen anymore. It was kind of like the spark had gone out of cooking or baking. Once I got into it, I would enjoy it, but really, I could barely find a way to get into it. Dinners for a while were…interesting. Popcorn and an apple, anyone? With the spark gone, and being incredibly busy with school and work, there wasn’t really anything to put up here.
But I’m trying. I’m trying to make at least a few meals a week that are reminiscent of the old me. The side benefit of this is that I actually have meals for lunch at work; their healthier and help with the much needed fiscal responsibility which is my renewed goal for 2011. A few weeks back I made pulled pork that was versatile and delicious; and then there were carrot and pineapple muffins with a coconut cream cheese icing, treasure hunt muffins (chocolate chips, blueberries, banana and peach muffin – sounds like lot, they were oddly good!) chicken, shrimp and sausage jambalaya, and then tonights meal of a simple honey glazed roasted chicken, and planning on chicken pot pies with the leftovers. I am feeling moderately consistent.
The mains I have made lately thrive on slow cooking. There is something satisfying about facing delayed gratification, waiting for the aromas wafting from the kitchen to reach an almost intolerable desire to want to go check on it, again. These meals have also been traditional and simple in their approaches. Somehow, over the last few weeks of slow and steady I have convinced myself that if I can work threw some old standbys then I may be on the road back to the kitchen…I’ve kind of missed it.
Honey Glazed Roasted Lemon Chicken
1 – 5lb chicken
extra virgin olive oil
1 head garlic
3-4 tbsp fresh parsley
2 tsp thyme (fresh or dried)
extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp chicken juices
2 tbsp hot water
- Pre-heat oven at 425F
- Remove any giblets from the chicken
- Rinse and pat dry chicken
- Drizzle olive oil over, and inside chicken
- Season with thyme, salt, and pepper, inside and out
- Squeeze lemon juice into cavity of chicken, add parsley, garlic and lemon.
- Base chicken every 20 minutes
- Mix all glaze ingredients together.
- Approximately 5 minutes before the chicken is ready to come out of the oven, baste the glaze over the chicken.
- Remove from oven when bird at thickest point on thigh reaches 175F, it will reach 180F when you allow it to rest for ~5-10 minutes.